Welcome to The Sports Posters Blog!
Hello world! As the owner and general manager of the world’s #1 retailer of new, rare, and vintage sports posters, SportsPosterWarehouse.com, I would like to welcome you to the world’s first blog dedicated to our little niche of the sports memorabilia and wall decor world.
My plan is to use this blog as a focal point for those who are interested in sports posters from a collector’s and hobbyist’s perspective. From the old Stancraft NFL art of the late 1960s and early 1970s; to the vast Sports Illustrated series that went from Renselaar (1968-71) to Studio One (1972-1977) to Marketcom (1978-1993) to oblivion; to the rise of Starline (1987-2003) and Costacos Brothers (1987-1997); to the ultimate dominance of Trends International (now owner of the Costacos brand, 1999-present); to the always-popular Nike posters (1978-present); to the fledgling Fathead company; and everything else in between; eventually, you’ll find it all here!
As a start, here’s info on the seven highly collectible posters seen in the banner at the top of this page (clockwise from left, with approximate $US values for new-condition stock):
- Wayne Gretzky – Sports Illustrated/Marketcom, circa 1982 (extremely rare hockey entry in the white-border series, $150-$200)
- Michael Jordan “MVP” (1988 Slam Dunk Contest) – Nike Inc. (likely the best-selling sports poster of all-time. Out-of-print since 2000. $35-$75)
- Bo Jackson “The Ballplayer” – Nike Inc. circa 1988. (a sensation from the brief era of Bo-mania. $75-$200)
- Tiger Woods “Drive” – Nike Inc. 2004 (promo for apparel retailers, short print run, never sold to poster trade. $35-$75)
- Bart Starr – Sports Illustrated/Renselaar Corp. 1968 (incredibly hard-to-find football entry in the original SI series. $250-$400)
- John Starks “The Dunk” (1993 Playoffs vs. Bulls) – Starline Inc. (limited release for New York market. $40-$75)
- Oakland A’s “World Champs” – ProMotions 1972 (from the most artistically-significant poster series ever published; $75-$150)
Feel free to add your commentary any time! Enjoy.